The traveling bookstore is hitting the road big time. Or at least bigger than it has since this venture began two years. As St. Rita’s Amazing Traveling Bookstore starts its third season, the events where it is is setting up are far, wide and exciting. Here is a quick list to get started and then more thoughts about all of it:
- every Wednesday when in Eureka, we set up at Eureka Farmers Market from 4-7pm at Riverside Park
- June 17 Sasquatch Festival in Yaak, MT all day
- June 22 SF Center for the Book in San Francisco, CA 10am – 4pm
- June 23 Mission Pie Type-In San Francisco, CA 3-7pm
- June 26 Ace Typewriter Repair Portland, OR 10am – 3pm
- July 1 HA Brewery Eureka, MT 4-7pm
- July 14-15 Yaak River Music Fest in Yaak, MT
- July 24 Kent Square Kent, WA 10am-3pm
…and more as summer unfolds.
Besides bringing a wonderful selection of used books and vintage postcards to a location near you, the traveling bookstore is also an opportunity to have conversations and to explore dreams. That’s how it started after all; a dream to open a bookstore and the reality that it would be tough to make that business financially viable in a town with a population of 1,037. So with enough conversations and enough brainstorming, here it is – a bookstore that can travel to where people are, a bookstore that has low overhead when parked in a small town, which can then travel to set up at a music festival, in a city or in front of your house (if you want to throw a literary party). It’s about following one’s dream and finding ways to make it happen.
It would be great to meet up with you along the way. Hope you are at one of these summer events or decide to arrange for the bookstore to come to your town/city. And, if you don’t mind, please help get the word out about this amazing traveling bookstore.